2021 Personal Trust Power Trips
A WP District Club Competition
Format of Play
- The format is 2-bowl Triples.
- Each game consists of two sets of 5 ends – and possibly a Tiebreak.
- Trial ends may be played before each game.
- If the jack moves out of bounds during play, it should be replaced on the 2-metre mark.
- Leads and Seconds may not approach the head and should stay at the mat until they have completed delivering their bowls.
- Skips may approach the head after delivery of their first bowl.
Sides & Teams
- Each Side of 9 players consists of 3 Teams of 3, all being members of the same Club.
- A Captain should be appointed for each Side.
Team & Rink Allocations, and the Toss
- The Captains from each Side will draw rinks and teams to play each other.
- The Captains from each side will toss a coin for the mat. The Side winning the toss can choose to keep the mat or give it to the other Side. The Side not in possession of the mat for the first end of the first set, will have possession for the first end of the second set.
- On all other ends, the team that won the previous end will have possession of the mat.
- Each team is allowed one Power Play per Set.
- A Power Play may be called on any end during the Set.
- Any shots scored by a team on an end when they have called a Power Play are doubled.
- The nomination of a Power Play must be made before the jack is rolled.
- The Skip must ensure that each member of the opposition team is aware that a Power Play has been called.
- Both teams can call a Power Play on the same end.
- If a Power Play is not called by a team during a set, their right to have a Power Play is forfeited.
Sides are entered by the Clubs, and can be any mix of gender. This is to ensure that Clubs with less men or less women do not miss out. It is up to the Club selectors to work together to select their Sides and setup their Teams within those Sides.
For Flag and Muter you have a Side of 8, divided into 2 Fours teams.
For Power Trips you have a Side of 9, divided into 3 Trips teams.
Club’s are encouraged to embrace the concept of mixed gender Sides and Teams.
Entries close on 24 May 2021 and Clubs should use the update Competition Entry form.
Day 1 – Saturday 5 June @ 14:00
Game 1 Round Robin within your Group
Game 2 Round Robin within your Group
Day 2 – Sunday 6 June @ 10:00
Game 3 Round Robin within your Group
Game 4 Round Robin within your Group
Day 3 – Saturday 12 June @ 14:00
Game 5 Round Robin within your Group
Game 6 Quarter-Finals within the Tier
Day 4 – Sunday 13 June @ 10:00
Game 7 Semi-Finals
Game 8 Finals
There will be a single winner per Tier.
After the Round Robin
All teams in every Tier and Group will play in the afternoon on day 3 and both games on day 4.
The top 2 teams in each Group of a Tier will have playoffs for positions 1 to 8.
The four winners of game 6 will be playing for positions 1 to 4.
The four losers of game 6 will be playing for positions 5 to 8.
The two winners of game 7 will then play for 1st and 2nd.
The two losers of game 7 will then play for 3rd and 4th.
This will be repeated for every team in each Tier.
So the teams finishing in 3rd and 4th for each Group in a Tier will playoff for positions 9 to 16.
The teams finishing in 5th and 6th for each Group in a Tier will playoff for positions 17 to 24.
After game 8, each team will then have a place that they finished in from 1 to 24 in their Tier.
- The two Sets are completely independent of each other and shots are not carried forward from one Set to the other.
- Each Set is worth 2 points.
- If a Set is drawn the teams score 1 point each.
- If the points are tied after 2 Sets, then a single end tiebreak is played.
- The Skips will toss a coin for the mat. The winner of the toss can choose to keep the mat or give it to the other team.
- The tie break end is worth 2 points.
Aggregate for all Teams in the Side
- The Side that scores the most combined set points during game play, is awarded an additional 4 points.
Round Robin Table
During the Round Robin in each Tier, Sides will be placed in the log according to the following criteria:
- Total number of points scored
- If two or more teams have the same number of points, the total number of Sets won (excluding Tiebreaks) will be used to determine their place on the table.
- If two or more teams are still tied, the Side that scored the most points when they played each other will be placed ahead on the table.
- If two or more teams are still tied, then toss of a coin will be used to determine their positions relative to one another.
All possible score combinations for a game
How the Tiers work
A list will be drawn up of the combined Flag and Muter logs from 2020 (up until Flag was stopped). This will provide a list of Clubs – with many Clubs appearing on the list more than once. This list will need to take into account different Clubs having different numbers of Sides entered, different Sides in different Leagues, etc. The decision of where to place Sides on the list will be solely at the discretion of the WP Executive and no correspondence will be entered into about the final list compilation or seedings.
For more detail about the Tiers please see the PT Power Trips – Tier Allocations Explained document.
After entries have been received the list will be updated with the entries received (removing entries on the list for which the applicable club did not enter a team).
The top 24 teams will be in Tier 1, the next 24 in Tier 2 and so on. Teams in each Tier are placed in Groups of 4, using the seedings as follows:
Referring to the tables above, the Groups for Tier 1 would be as follows:
Only one declaration form needs to be completed and submitted. Please see the links below for a blank form and an example of a completed form.
The closing date for entries is 17 May 2021.
Please ensure that the updated Competition Entry Book is used!